Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shepherd's Bush & Ann Bowers (sort of, mostly)

Shepherd's Bush Home (sheep)

Without the 'Home'.   This was my New Year's Day stitching.
Shepherd's Bush Home

 I did not backstitch in the Home above  the sheep.  My house does not look like that.  I added some minor textured stitching and some beads in place of single flower stitches.  

It's the photo which is crooked, not the stitching.  

Ann Bowers (an adaptation)

Sort of.   The kit I ordered way way back when was for 35 count. I received 40ct but I started it anyway.  I stopped after I got a couple of inches down.  It was just too intense, too tight for my tastes.  I put it away for 10 years (more or less).  10 years napping time for my WIPS seems to be average for me.

I picked it back up when reading about all the other Ann Bowers stitchers starting across the web this year.   I changed the cloth to 35 ct of the same color from the same manufacturer, restarted and really got into it.  Close up pics will follow as I get further along.

Ann Bowers, many changes
The basic template is from The Exemplarery's pattern of Ann Bowers, the motif shapes and general order of the bands.   A couple of the alphabets will be, too (with the scandalous unperiod addition of the historically missing letters J and U.)  

I know the historical reasons for the omissions.   I am not stitching this to the period inwhich it was originally made.  There are and will be other changes: the alphabet used in the verses, the verses themselves.   The verse I added in place of one of the alphabets is from a later period than the original sampler stitcher's life.

I do not stitch reproductions.  I fall in love with enough elements in old patterns to make it worthwhile for me to purchase them then I do what I want with the materials when I stitch them.  Sometimes  I am close to the original patterns.  In this case, not as much, especially on the inner alphabets and spacing of motifs.

In this particular case I widened the piece by a couple of stitches inorder to make the corners work more to my tastes.    I shortened the piece by a few stitches in order to make the bottom corners more to my taste.  It does not matter to the fit of the interior elements because I am not using all of the alphabets in the original, nor the verses as they are currently charted.  I would have liked to have used the alphabet used in the original charted verses but I was even more eager to get the verse I used actually stitched before I changed my mind.

 I am still thinking about how to use elements from the original verses but this is where I rest  my progress and move on to something completely different.   

I think a TW wip is up for some work next.    TW has gotten permission to go digital with many of her older patterns!  Time to celebrate by actually stitching on some of those patterns which I have already started.  I have many to choose from.  

I used to be a wanton starting slut.   My ways have changed. I have found a different path!  I still don't finish much but I am focusing on working my already starteds.  Eventually there will be a period of finishings and much rejoicing will be in the land!

  (Well, not the land of vendors as I have not been buying anything near what I used to for quite a while now.)


  1. Love Shepherds bush Home. And your Ann wip is so very pretty. I commend you being able to make all the changes in the chart to your likes. Amazing. All I can say is don't stop - work a bit more on this one. It will be a good feeling afterwards. I really enjoyed your post. love Annette

  2. Congrats on the cute finish. I like your approach to old samplers, and how you adapt them to making something of your very own - well done.